|This post has nothing to do w cats, but I love this pic.|
But I had a thought today. And I'm curious how you will respond.
I've read plenty of blog stories of how authors found their agents, and one in particular stays with me. The author mentioned that after many form query rejections, an agent finally requested a full. Now, after this author sent the agent her manuscript, she did some digging. Much deeper than the initial who-do-I-query digging. And when the agent called and offered representation, the author asked lots of questions. In the end, the author decided this particular agent would not be a good fit for her. She turned the offer down.
*I really wish I knew whose story this is so I can link to her blog, but I read this some time ago.*
Of course the author eventually did sign with a great agent. But when she turned down the first offer, she had no agents on the back burner.
This got me to thinking. If you queried agents who seemed like they'd be a good fit (AAR, book sales, etc.) but then felt they may not be the one, would you turn down their offer of representation? Or would you figure the door is open, and hope it's the one to walk through?
I'm not asking because this is a personal issue of mine. I just thought it'd be interesting to read your views on it. :)
~Also, I was thinking of posting the darkest scene from my ms, Dark Waters, on my blog on Halloween. Do you know of any blog-a-thons doing this?~