Thursday, April 25, 2013

Thursday's Children

I'm new to the Thursday's Child thing, but thought I'd give it a try.

I was asked what inspires me, and while there's a ton of answers I can give to that question, today's answer is Evergreens.




They are magnificent, mystical, full of history, and just downright magical. While hiking, I know I'm in the presence of greatness. Muse-feeding greatness. 



My manuscript, DEADLY SPLENDOR, is about a group of sisters who are descendants of man-eating folkloric women. They derive from a few different types of creatures, but one in particular was said to live in the mist surrounding evergreens. The huldra. The backs of the huldra looked like bark, to help them blend in. A huldra woman would sit on the lower branches or rest against the trunk of a tree, at the edge of the woods, waiting for a man to cross her path. With a wink and a come-hither hand gesture, she'd lure the man deeper into the forest. He'd trail her as the evergreens grew dense and the sunlight withered to nothing more than strands of yellow filtered through layers of branches. That's where her sisters would lay in wait for meal time. 

You'll see evergreens in every book I've written. Because they inspire magical stories. What inspires you?






*I took these pictures during a hike*

      

17 comments:

  1. Ah trees, beautiful trees. They've inspired me too. Sometimes I think I wouldn't mind being a tree. Almost as "zen" as a rock, but actually alive :) Glad you joined TC, hope you'll do so again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huldras - sounds like an awesome story (man eating sisters!) I love evergreens too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love evergreens because I grew up in the Pacific NW (on Vancouver Island). I haven't written anything with a forest setting, but I'm inspired by ocean/beach settings and few of my stories have characters that go on ocean voyages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in WA and my story takes place on Friday Harbor. :) Love writing the Washington forests into books. It's almost at though they're also a character in the story.

      Delete
  4. Love these pictures and what a beautiful, serene place. And interesting story idea. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually took these in 2009 on a hike with my best friend when we decided to stop talking about writing books and actually start writing books. :)

      Delete
  5. I am inspired by the PNW also. I went to Orcas Island this fall, and was so captivated. The trilogy I am working on is set on 6 different islands, and the Olympic Peninsula! The part of the world we live in is truly an inspiring place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes we do! That's why we have so many successful authors in our area! :)

      Delete
  6. The trilogy I am working on is set on 6 different islands in the Puget Sound. I was inspired after a trip to Orcas Island this fall — so captivating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to go to there! It looks AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful trees. I can see why they inspire you. :)

    http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2013/04/inspired-by-remarkable-unusual-and-true.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been learning a lot about evergreens for my YA fantasy so this post was inspiring for me, too.Welcome to the bloghop, Rachel!
    ~Dannie @ Left to Write

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it was helpful. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  10. Love the trees! Especially the evergreens, thanks for sharing, very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, so pretty! I never see trees like that where I am. Based off just these pictures of them, I can see why you find evergreens so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh. Ahhh. I wish I were there.
    It must be like a living dream through those forests. Guess I'll just have to read your book. For now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely stunning photos! And the huldra sound terrifyingly spectacular! Definitely something I'd like to read about! :)

    ReplyDelete