Sunday, August 19, 2012

Do You Encourage?

Over this last week, my eleven-year-old daughter has been drawing something special. My best friend recently celebrated a birthday, and my daughter wan't to draw her a gift.

See, my best friend wrote a book. And my daughter thought it'd be fun to draw the main character of that book. Because, my daughter is gifted at art.

So, throughout the week my daughter and I visited Michael's craft store to buy special color pencils and other supplies. We picked out matting and a frame to make the colors in the picture pop. And yesterday, when my friend came over, my daughter and I unveiled her work of art. My friend was touched and thankful. My daughter was encouraged.

And that got me to thinking.

As you pursue your dream, how often do you encourage your loved ones to pursue theirs?

I have heard plenty of parents tell their children they won't allow their kids to try an activity because the child will just quit. I understand teaching your child to persevere, but sometimes we must try a few things on for size before we find the activity that fits.

My oldest daughter tried ballet, horse back riding, writing, and archery. I'm sure there's more. :) But what she kept going back to, was drawing. Drawing stuck. Art fit. So, over the summer my husband and I enrolled her in art camp. She felt right at home and excelled.

As I stood in the art aisle at Michael's, watching her ooh and ah over the different types of chalks and instruction books, I thought of myself. The way I feel in a book store.

Art is where she fits. And it's my job to encourage her to pursue her dream and her passion. If you don't have children, do you have nieces or nephews? Can you think of a child you know who could use some encouragement?

Because, honestly, we all want a place where we feel like we fit. And children especially are seeking such a place.

by: My daughter. :)
       

11 comments:

  1. She did such an amazing job! I'm so proud of her for working so hard to create this. It's awesome that her heart is so big that she would do such a wonderful thing for me. What a sweet, talented girl you have. :)

    Javin is a cooker and made us mint chip pancakes this morning. ;) Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome drawing, and a very sweet gift. Encouragement in hugely important for kids, as well as us grownups who are tying out new avenues of creativity. It's a good thing to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Encouragement is for the old and the young alike! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is a lovely drawing. And a great reminder from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog from the GUTGAA event. I couldn't resist checking out a few blogs before the event started and following them as well.

    The drawing is stunning, she has talent. And major kudos to you for encouraging her to follow her bliss. I love the lawout of your blog, easy to read. The pic is gorgeous of the scenery. I love the rain back drop.

    Russo @ www.threegnomes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome gift--your daughter is clearly talented! I think it's so great how you encourage her to pursue what she loves. My own mom was the same way when I was growing up, for both art and writing. I don't know what I would have done without that support, so I completely agree that we should all encourage others when we can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to have a mom who's supportive!!

      Delete
  6. This is such a great post and a great reminder to all of us to remember our loved ones in this pursuit. And wow! Your daughter really is gifted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading the title of this post reminded me of a lecture I attended at a writers conference this summer about expanding your talents. The gist of the lecture was this, we can all excel at something as long as we work hard. And if you don't have a passion for it, why work? Sounds like you're doing the right thing by sending her to that art camp. I probably tried a million things before I realized writing was my thing all along. Great Post! New follower here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post! I completely agree that we should all remember our loved ones and encourage others!

    Found you from the GUTGAA links and following.

    ReplyDelete